Random thoughts on the Italian expedition...





Well I have had 10 weeks or so to think about what happened on the trip, what we saw and what we did, and what I would maybe change. Heres a few things bouncing around;

Next time we go back that way I think maybe some motorway at the start to kill miles might be a good idea. Sure, we really saw the detail in the countryside of France and Belgium, it was a very immersive (to use a trendy word) experience. But we probably could have cut a day off each end by using motorways and had more time for those alpine passes, which were really highlights.

Camping might not be the way to go on a trip where you move on each day. Not decided 100% on this yet, but the good nights sleep we got each day was pretty good at stopping tireness build up. Maybe as a compromise I can talk my riding partner into more Youth Hostels? Cheaper than hotels...modern hostels are pretty good. If we went somewhere and the weather was kind, maybe camping would be cool as a base camp type thing. Maybe its the only way we could spend more than 1 night in Switzerland! Andermatt looks good.

Cash is king - a few times I relied on cards and it didn't work - Jeff had to bail me out once or twice. 

Theres a lot more Africa Twins on the continent than in the UK - clearly its a really big hit. I can see why; enough power, comfy, can be really loaded up, and these days chains are not the drawback thy once were. I suspect next time we go back we will see a lot of Tenere 700s. Europeans "get" this kind of bike. In fact in the Alps apparently there are thousands of kms of dirt roads that most people don't even know about.

Riding passes and back roads average speeds are pretty low - less than 50 on a lot of days. There is a lot of stuff to see, its nice to be able to see it.

City riding is not for me - the most frustrating annoying times were always in cities or towns over 100,000 people. 

We did at lot of miles in one of the worst heatwaves of recent years. We tried to drink enough water but once or twice we didn't. It clearly effected our riding, and then our tempers.

In Italy everyone from 14 or 16 to 90 rides a scooter. Its cool and its practical. Maybe thats why they produce a lot of great road racers.....the whole powered 2 wheel thing is second nature.

Moto Guzzi will do just fine, as long as Piaggio don't kill them off. The riders are passionate and loyal. The new bikes are good, not just good for a Guzzi but GOOD. And they have something thats less and less common; that feeling of owning a special bike with a soul, a character, a touch of animal blood, that when you ride it you know its doing the business in its own way - take it or leave it.

Finally, its damn hard to get over the let down feeling when a trip is over and on Monday its back to the daily grind. Memories sustain us through the dark times.....things done and adventures to come.


Comments

  1. Hi mate, yes, my thoughts echo yours I think, including the use of hostels; the hotels and so forth were stunning but you're right, it's not exactly doing it on a shoestring to use hostels more and maybe the occasional special night in a gasthaus or hotel (maybe more agrotourism?)
    I'm glad we took the camping gear as a backup (again) but that's two big trips and we've coped without needing it. Not sure whether I'd feel underprepared without anything.

    Roads? Yeah I'll admit there's something to using more principal routes to 'connect the fun stuff', needs a bit more planning and with our distance apart we don't get a lot of time to do that other than online or the phone. Totally agree about towns and cities!

    As for hydration, my CamelBak and flip-front lid made a big difference, you know I've advised one but it's choice I guess.
    I do think maybe a more flexible riding jacket might be a consideration for climates we know may be hot. Easier to layer up for cold than boil in heat and humidity.

    As for Guzzi's? I don't think I'd want another bike to own. I can see a V85 somewhere in my future and I do like other bikes, but it's the all round ability of the ones I have that I love. Not perfect, but good enough for me and even the minor issues are forgivable taken in the whole.

    So! Picos...? Galicia...? Portugal...? We'll have to plan! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Italy part 3 - The Alps make an appearance

Italy Part 8 - the final few days....

Dad, Motorcycles, and Me; a complicated relationship