The joys of not all the gear all the time

First, if anyone is actually interested in what I have to say, I'm sorry I haven't said too much lately. Theres been a Big Ride on my mind, and now thats done (finished 2 weeks ago) I'm mulling it over and digesting it, and then there will be 3 or 4 blog posts about it. Suffice to say it was the finest ride/tour of my life so far, filled with so much awe and joy, new places, new experiences, that I can't wait to go back.

Anyway, I've pretty much been a custom leather trousers and textile jacket guy for 15 years. Very occaisionally 5-7 years or further back I would wear my old Walden Miller leather jacket (circa 1990 I estimate), but I got too fat for it and got used to the utility of a touring jacket - all those handy pockets.

But today.....it was warm enough, Ive lost 22lbs in weight, the jacket fits OK, and dammit I'm going to wear my 501s. Held up with braces of course. So 140 or so miles later, crossing Dartmoor west to east, and then going the other way just to the north, then home, IT FELT GREAT. Super comfortable, not too hot, and easy to walk around in. Being as my jacket was not armoured or exactly modern (but it is well made), and these were not even motorcyle jeans, let alone aramid/kevlar type jeans with armour, yes my safety and protection was lessened. However I feel it was worth it. And in the end, we make our own decisions as thinking adults.

So the next step is to get a pair of aramid jeans, get them altered for length, and start wearing them while the weather remains good.  For local rides, its the appropriate thing. I saw some Lindstom? jeans at one of my stops today - £119  - I can just about afford that.....

Next....a new helmet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Italy part 3 - The Alps make an appearance

Italy Part 8 - the final few days....

Dad, Motorcycles, and Me; a complicated relationship