Dad, Motorcycles, and Me; a complicated relationship

 My father hated me riding motorcycles on the road. Which is odd because he was the first person to sit me on one. 

And Dad was a rider.

When I got a little 250 to learn on in 1985, his opinion was that I woud kill myself within months. It turned out I did not, however I did give up road riding after a year following a disasterous trip out west where another person in the group convinced me I was not up to riding on the road. I believed him, and gave up, turning back to off road riding a few years later, competing in trials. Dad was most pleased with this turn of events. Then when I finally got my bike license after a year on a 250 in 1995, he wanted to come along when I did the test ride. He passed his opinion, I bought the bike, and rode it home in the rain. His verdict was the same - "you'll kill yourself". 

Dad was born in 1932 and it seems from a pretty early age he had an affinity for internal combustion engines, so he rode bikes and as was the custom of the day, worked on his own bikes that were mainly Nortons, including a pre-war Norton International 500 - a very hot machine for that time. His brother had hot rods, and Dad worked on them with Maurice, but he was a bike guy. He rode in a crew around mid 50s Sydney and the surrounding areas. One of them became world 250 champion in 1969. Some of them died. Many were injured.  They were rockers...and this happened. They went to Bathurst every year, and had a fine old time watching the racing. I get the impression they had a few drinks, but it was about the bikes, about the racing.

Then he got married and gave up riding. Just like that.

He put me on that bike in 1972 or 1973, as best I can remember, at a freinds place. I remember I didn't like it. 

Then he bought a Honda 90 with balloon tyres to ride the 1.5 miles to work at the concrete yard (he drove the trucks) and so enjoyed it before I knew it he had aYamaha  CT2 175, then he put me on a Honda Monkey Bike and although I crashed into a tree straight away I caught the bug. Before long I had a 100cc Ag bike, and a KV75 minibike, and we were going up to Bulls Hill Quarry, where I was taught to ride by Dads friend Neville. Dad had no patience to teach anybody anything - if they didn't get it instantly, he could lose his temper. Nev was a careful patient teacher, and as far as I can remember probably taught 10 kids to ride that I know of. As I was taught to ride on Nevilles YZ125, the Ag bike and the KV75 were easy. 

The years from 1976 to 1984 were great times for Dad on a bike, always off road. I had hardly ever saw him happier than when he was ragging his old CT2 around the track at Mooney Creek, or miles up a fire trail in the middle of nowhere. These were great times for me too, doing stuff with him, having fun, getting filthy and learning about bikes. 

It all came to an end when I went to uni in 1985. The KV75 was given away, the Ag 100 died, and the CT2 was leant to a freind who promptly siezed it by not filling the oil tank. End of an era, and I am sure we became more distant after that. Dad never rode again.  Dad never "got" surfing - he thought I was wasting my time spending nearly every day I could at the beach. For me it was life.

So it came to 1986 and my permanent return to road riding. I bought an SRX600, and 2 weeks later took it on a 2500km tour around NSW and Victoria - and I came back a changed person. More self-confident, more up for things, and 100% addicted to motorcycle riding. And its been that way ever since. I'd ride back to Mum and Dads on the SRX from Orange to Gosford and arrive home feeling great, to be greeted by grumbles from the old man about how dangerous the roads were......

Dad was against it all of course, almost but not quite until the day he died I'd like to think. See, almost the last time I saw him alive I drove him out on a madcap trip to Mudgee to visit a relative, who wasn't there - typical Dad! By this time Dad was blind. And on that trip, for the first time in more than 15 years he started to talk about the old days racing around Sydney on his Norton, the wild incidents, and he seemed to have an admiration for the riding I had done. We laughed and joked in a way we hadn't ever before really. These were special moments. Good thing he was blind, as I had tears in my eyes making it harder to drive, just as I have now typing these words. Just before he died, we made the connection. I'm really glad of that. 

Dad wasn't the best Dad a kid could have had; he was old fashioned and distant a lot of the time, didn't know how to deal with kids (or women for that matter) and was terrible at cooking a steak. 

But he was my Dad and he rode bikes. 


Comments

  1. Mate, that is very heartfelt and personal and I know (from this and from other conversations we've had) the difficult times you may have experienced in this context.
    Thing is, in the end, you got that connection.
    You had some bloody great bikes and did some crazy things on the fireroads and back tracks, the things you learned are important to you now.
    I am not too 'up myself' to recognise that when you first arrived in UK our first few rides I was "bloody hell, why won't he keep up or overtake" but I see now that was a byproduct of the earlier times. I'm sorry for expecting too much of you back then.
    Latterly however I'd like to say you are a very confident but also a safe rider, you don't take chances but you do make progress, we've had some amazing rides, various around the Welsh Marches, the Pyrenees and all around the Black Forest, the Tyrol and Switzerland.
    On a more basic level we just get on. We understand each other and our shared love of the open road and our Guzzis that keep us out there bonds us, along with music, debate and food!
    I'm bloody glad you wandered into my life Mr Carpenter, it would have been a quieter and less interesting place without you my friend.
    Now. Where the hell are we off to next? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words mate. Yeah I certainly was a bit slow when I first came to the UK, I suppose that bike was not half as good as the SZR that followed, and not 1/10 the bike the Breva is. But I wasn't that confident or good either back then. Maybe the mythical 90mph in the middle of the night ride back from the NW200 was a bit of an epiphany. I dunno. Certainly when I got on the Breva, I realised it was made for me. And most of the stuff I have learned, I have learned from you.

      Where are we going next? Wales I hope, as soon as we can both work the dates out. Its like this I reckon....

      What care we for wind or storm?
      What care we for gale-oh?
      Gin we maun haul a' the creel ower the side
      We'll drink the milk o' the Whale-oh;
      Heave ya ho, and away we go.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Italy part 3 - The Alps make an appearance

Italy Part 8 - the final few days....

Red Kite 2022 - A new era in my motorcycle life